Vacancy: The JHoK is looking for an Assistant Managing Editor!
The Journal for the History of Knowledge is looking for an assistant managing editor Are you interested? Then please read the full profile and apply.
The Journal for the History of Knowledge is looking for an assistant managing editor (0.1 fte) to start on 15 January 2020 (or as close as possible to this date) for 6 months. The position can be prolonged depending upon positive evaluation and your continued registration as a student. You are expected to be present 0.5 day per week, in principle, on Fridays when the editorial team meets in Utrecht, and to take up tasks during the rest of the week.
Journal for the History of Knowledge
The Journal for the History of Knowledge is an open access, peer-reviewed journal devoted to the history of knowledge in its broadest sense. JHoK is affiliated with Gewina, the Belgian-Dutch Society for History of Science and Universities. It is supported by the Descartes Centre for the History and Philosophy of the Sciences and the Humanities, Huygens Institute of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences, the Vossius Centre for the History of Humanities and Sciences, and the Stevin Centre for History of Science and Humanities. JHoK’s editorial team consist of two editors-in-chief (Sven Dupré and Geert Somsen), one managing editor (Ilja Nieuwland), a language editor, and one assistant managing editor.
For more information on the journal, please see https://journalhistoryknowledge.org.
The editorial office of JHoK is based at Utrecht University. Founded in 1636, Utrecht University is at the forefront of developments in interdisciplinary knowledge, and home to the Descartes Centre for the History and Philosophy of the Sciences and the Humanities.
As assistant managing editor, you will assist the editors-in chief in managing the review process of articles submitted the Journal of the History of Knowledge. Your tasks consist of:
- receiving and acknowledging articles and special issue proposals
- keeping track of the review and revision workflow and correspondence, including contacting reviewers, and sending reminders to reviewers and authors
- anonymizing submitted manuscripts and reviews
- checking articles for compliance to JHoK’s style sheet
- and, in general, all communication with authors, reviewers and advisory board members
Profile and Qualifications
- You are registered as a (R)MA student at Utrecht University for the academic year 2019-20 (at least until the end of your contract after 6 months of the starting date, ca. 15 July)
- You are a student History and Philosophy of Science, or (in case you study another field in the sciences or the humanities), have a proven affinity with the history of knowledge
- You have an active command of English and a facility with communication in English
- You have the capacity to work in a diligent and reliable way
- You can work independently and as part of a team
- You have facility with IT and are willing to learn to work with journal management systems
How to apply?
Please send your letter of motivation (max. 1 page) and curriculum vitae to both editors-in-chief (email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org) before 13 December. Short-listed candidates will be interviewed in the week of 16 – 20 December.